What are E&S and VPDES?

Erosion and Sediment Control/ VPDES Small Construction Discharge to Stormwater Permit. The City of Salem Engineering Department is certified by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality to administer, inspect, and review all land disturbing within Salem. All details and standards are in accordance with the Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook (latest edition). In addition, all small construction activities in the Commonwealth (greater than or equal to one acre) may fall under the Stormwater Discharges from Small Construction Activities (VAR 10) regulations of the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES). Please contact the Salem Engineering Department at 540-375-3032 or the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ) at 540-562-6700. 

Additional Information

  • VPDES Storm Water Permitting
  • Virginia Soil and Water Conservation Program

Show All Answers

1. What are some tips for a dry basement?
2. What is a land disturbing permit?
3. How do I contact Miss Utility?
4. Why wasn't the water line in my backyard marked after I called Miss Utility?
5. Where is the septic located on my property?
6. What are E&S and VPDES?
7. What are the Street Standards & Details?
8. What is an illicit discharge?