What is a land disturbing permit?

A land disturbing permit is required by the City of Salem for any activity that will involve 5,000 or more square feet of land disturbance. A site plan prepared by a professional engineering firm is required. Occasionally, the site plan requirement can be waived and the developer may execute an "Agreement in Lieu of a Plan," upon approval of the City by the Salem Engineering Department.

This permit is granted on condition that all work be done in accordance with all lawful covenants and restrictions, City Ordinances, plans, specifications, and applications filed in the office of the City Engineer.

A permit costs $25. Upon issuance of the permit, the developer is required to inform the City of Salem Engineering Department a minimum of three days in advance of start of work for an inspection of erosion and sediment control measures provided at the site.

In addition, all small construction activities in the Commonwealth (greater than or equal to one acre) may fall under the Stormwater Discharges from Small Construction Activities (VAR 10) regulations of the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES). Please contact the Salem Engineering Department at 540-375-3032 or the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ) at 540-562-6700 for additional information.

Show All Answers

1. What are some tips for a dry basement?
2. What is a land disturbing permit?
3. How do I contact Miss Utility?
4. Why wasn't the water line in my backyard marked after I called Miss Utility?
5. Where is the septic located on my property?
6. What are E&S and VPDES?
7. What are the Street Standards & Details?
8. What is an illicit discharge?